Views
Helpful
Replies

Basics

agentlife
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I was wandering if i could create a network (ethernet) without IP addresses assigned for the hosts. I mean that if there is any way to communicate two or more hosts only by using their MAC addr 's.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Yes they can share resources without IP addressing but only on the same subnet ie. Netbios is broadcast based and it could not be routed so it wasn't very scalable.

Hence the reason Microsoft came out with Netbios over TCP/IP.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You would still need an IP address if you wanted to use any IP based applications (which most applications are these days).

If you used only one subnet then your addressing could be made very simple and there would be no need for routing but you still need them.

Only if you do not need to use any IP based apps could you do this but you would still need some host to address mapping.

HTH

Jon

Although the question might be regarded as "stupid", the purpose is to clarify some theoritical things concerning networking. Could you please refer to a non-ip application.

Thanks

Hi

The question certainly isn't stupid and if i wrote anything to suggest otherwise i apologise sincerely. It is a perfectly valid question.

A non IP application would be an IPX application for example although the hosts would still need IPX addresses. Netbios that windows used to use was also a non IP protocol so windows networking was non-IP until they introduced Netbios over TCP/IP so they could route the traffic.

HTH

Jon

So when Netbios is not used over tcp/ip (if there is such an option), it does not need ip addressing, however the two hosts can e.g. share their folders?

Hi

Yes they can share resources without IP addressing but only on the same subnet ie. Netbios is broadcast based and it could not be routed so it wasn't very scalable.

Hence the reason Microsoft came out with Netbios over TCP/IP.

HTH

Jon

NMETSG911
Level 1
Level 1

To be precise with NetBios you are not using MAC addresses only you are just trading an IP protocol for a NetBios Protocol.

There is no way for you to have a functionning network communication wihtout any Communication Protocol.

So the answer to your question is no.

just adding some comment to the former poster. I think he's right cause u need a routed protocol to route traffic.

Only making use of a mac add wont work cause cause a mac isn't routable its just the way that a node finds another node ont the same of another network...

ciao flash

Of course mac addr isn't routable. I asked what happens when you need no routing to connect two hosts.

dont get mad friend...

ciao flash

i didn't. Thanks anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: