Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading wlc4402 software version

akobwaycct
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i want to upgrade the software version of my wlc4402-50-k9 but i don know how to go about it,cam anyone help with a step by step approach

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Moakofi,

This should get you started;

You can upgrade the Cisco WLC with either one of these methods:

GUI

Command-line interface (CLI)

When a controller is upgraded, the code on its associated access points is also automatically upgraded. When an access point loads code, each of its lights blinks in succession.

Note: Do not power down the controller or any access point during this process. Otherwise, you might corrupt the software image.

The upgrade of a controller with a large number of access points can take as long as 30 minutes. The access points must remain powered, and the controller must not be reset during this time.

Cisco recommends this sequence when you perform an upgrade:

Upload your controller configuration files to a server to back them up.

Turn off the controller 802.11a and 802.11b networks.

Upgrade your controller.

Re-enable your 802.11a and 802.11b networks.

This document provides the steps to follow in order to upgrade the WLC with each of these methods.

Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Software Upgrade

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Moakofi,

This should get you started;

You can upgrade the Cisco WLC with either one of these methods:

GUI

Command-line interface (CLI)

When a controller is upgraded, the code on its associated access points is also automatically upgraded. When an access point loads code, each of its lights blinks in succession.

Note: Do not power down the controller or any access point during this process. Otherwise, you might corrupt the software image.

The upgrade of a controller with a large number of access points can take as long as 30 minutes. The access points must remain powered, and the controller must not be reset during this time.

Cisco recommends this sequence when you perform an upgrade:

Upload your controller configuration files to a server to back them up.

Turn off the controller 802.11a and 802.11b networks.

Upgrade your controller.

Re-enable your 802.11a and 802.11b networks.

This document provides the steps to follow in order to upgrade the WLC with each of these methods.

Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Software Upgrade

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

thanks man

but now i am experiening another problem,i have downloaded from cisco something which i thot was the software that i want to upgarde to (4.0.206.0 )Standard-MIBS-Cisco-WLC4400-4100-2000-021907.zip

there are many files in the zip file and the controller wont accept any of the files,i am using a WLC4402 running software version 3.2.116.21. How do i get the proper software for the controller.

The MIBS (Management Information Base files) are for SNMP name <-> number translations.

To upgrade the software on the WLC, you want AIR-WLC4400-K9-3-2-193-5.aes or AIR-WLC4400-K9-4-0-206-0.aes. If you are already running 4.0.206.0, I don't believe there is anything newer.

According to Cisco, 4.0.206.0 is "unstable" and can result in access points periodically rebooting. 4.0.207.0 is supposed to fix some of the worst behaviors. You may have to work with you Cisco SE to obtain if not yet released to the public.

There are a number of threads that discuss 4.0.206.0 issues...

There is supposed to be a release in May 4.1(?) that addresses many of the outstanding issues. You may want to wait until then.

- John

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card