cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 lines

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, when we talk about e1 lines, are they basically an ISDN pri circuit?

6 Replies 6

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Well E1 lines are also used for Hub to spoke serial lines. This used to be done pretty long time back.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1826/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d9bc0.html#xtocid2513226

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if this helps :)

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

No, E-1 lines are the European Digital Standard level 1 lines. They are 2.048Mhz in speed. It is the media type that you speak about when you say E-1. The protocols that you run on an E-1 (as well as a T-1) can vary. ISDN, Frame Relay, HDLC, PPP, ATM, SMDS, etc, can all run on an E-1. The E-1 is Europes equivilant to the US T-1. The E-3 to the T-3. Hope I answered your question....Good Luck...

a.whiting
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carl,

FWIW I've terminated a number of BT(UK) E1 lines as point-to-point 2Mbits/s bearers, using X.21 converters on the end of the 75 Ohm coaxes presented by BT, thence CAB-X21-MT cables to Sync interfaces on routers (in both bridging and routing scenarios). The trick with E1's is in the framing i.e. they present as ITU-T G.703 bearers but you can also order "fractional" E1 using G.704 framing to distribute the timeslots - thus acting as an ISDN PRI cct.

HTH, Andy.

so what do people normally order these as, If I want a point to point circuit would I just order a unchannelized 2 mbits circuit ?

Hi Carl

if you want a simple point to point circuit then go ahead for a channelized 2 Mbps circuit..

regds

Hi Carl,

Yes - sort of! Order a simple G.703 2Mbits/s(un-channelised) E1 if all you need is a 2Mbits/s point-to-point cct; else order same but with G.704 (channelised) framing if you want to use the timeslots. The presentation is either on unbalanced 75 Ohm BNC coaxes (Tx & Rx legs) or on balanced 120 Ohm twisted-pair RJ-45; the NTU's usually have both. I've attached a couple of .pdf's which may be of use.

Regards, Andy.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card