cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 lines

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, when we talk about e1 lines, are they basically an ISDN pri circuit?

6 Replies 6

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Well E1 lines are also used for Hub to spoke serial lines. This used to be done pretty long time back.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1826/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d9bc0.html#xtocid2513226

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if this helps :)

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

No, E-1 lines are the European Digital Standard level 1 lines. They are 2.048Mhz in speed. It is the media type that you speak about when you say E-1. The protocols that you run on an E-1 (as well as a T-1) can vary. ISDN, Frame Relay, HDLC, PPP, ATM, SMDS, etc, can all run on an E-1. The E-1 is Europes equivilant to the US T-1. The E-3 to the T-3. Hope I answered your question....Good Luck...

a.whiting
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carl,

FWIW I've terminated a number of BT(UK) E1 lines as point-to-point 2Mbits/s bearers, using X.21 converters on the end of the 75 Ohm coaxes presented by BT, thence CAB-X21-MT cables to Sync interfaces on routers (in both bridging and routing scenarios). The trick with E1's is in the framing i.e. they present as ITU-T G.703 bearers but you can also order "fractional" E1 using G.704 framing to distribute the timeslots - thus acting as an ISDN PRI cct.

HTH, Andy.

so what do people normally order these as, If I want a point to point circuit would I just order a unchannelized 2 mbits circuit ?

Hi Carl

if you want a simple point to point circuit then go ahead for a channelized 2 Mbps circuit..

regds

Hi Carl,

Yes - sort of! Order a simple G.703 2Mbits/s(un-channelised) E1 if all you need is a 2Mbits/s point-to-point cct; else order same but with G.704 (channelised) framing if you want to use the timeslots. The presentation is either on unbalanced 75 Ohm BNC coaxes (Tx & Rx legs) or on balanced 120 Ohm twisted-pair RJ-45; the NTU's usually have both. I've attached a couple of .pdf's which may be of use.

Regards, Andy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card