Views
Helpful
Replies

LOOPBACK ON A 2950 SWITCH

CSCO10663272
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My company has requested me to install a switch on a WAN link.

They requested I configure a loopback address.

I configured the switch vlan1 with an ip/mask and no shut it.

The WAN link goes through the switch no problem.

When I configure an Loopback addrees ie

switch#config t

switch(config)#interface loopback 1

switch(config)#int loopback 1

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

However if you question mark int ?

switch(config)#int ?

looback is shown as a vaild command.

any one have any ideas?

5 Replies 5

CSCO10663272
Level 1
Level 1

The ^ should be under Loopack

Hi Friend,

2950 is a pure layer 2 switch so it does not need a loopback interface. The command will be present because 2950 works on basic IOS train which have this command but 2950 platform does not support this command.

HTH

Ankur

*Please rate helpfull post

Richard

Ankur gives a good explanation that the 2950 as a layer 2 switch does not support loopback interfaces and that loopback does show in help because it works out of a standard template for help in IOS.

In addition it may be helpful to point out that layer 2 switches can have only a single active virtual interface with an IP address. You indicate that you have configured VLAN 1 and given it an IP address. If you were to configure another VLAN (perhaps VLAN 2) and give it an IP address your would find that VLAN 1 shuts down. There can be only 1 active virtual interface with an IP address on the layer 2 switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the info

Hello ankur,

I am also have the same problem.

I wonder why i can input the command interface loopback 0 on ios c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-9.EA1.bin

but not on c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card