cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DC Directory versus Micrsoft AD

jones2sr
Level 1
Level 1

Does Cisco recommend using DC Directory versus Microsoft AD?

5 Replies 5

Steve,

The obvious answer to this is they package DCD with CCM, unlike relying on AD as Unity standalone does. But AD is 100% supported as a directory store in CCM.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

Is there a process to move from DCD to AD? We have been installed for a few years with DCD and would prefer to move to AD.

Thanks!

Mike,

Jorge's link is the document everyone uses for the CCM AD integration. It's great for initial installs. If you've been using DCD for years though, it can be a daunting task to migrate to AD. Cisco doesn't have rock solid scripts (at least the ones I was provided) for migrating the data and they weren't supported (again the ones I was given). You might be doing a lot of rework on the CCM to LDAP integration if you do this (example phone to user association).

Other things to keep in mind. CCM will now use the AD as it's directory lookup. You want to make sure that all the users have the correct telephone number in their AD account before doing this. Also all users in the search base will show up in the directory. If you don't have a structured AD, with a root for Users only, then you might have to use a higher search base that might include service accounts. These accounts can be hidden in AD by putting 'CiscoPrivateUser' in the description field. Scripts are also available for this, see the link below.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddc3dfa/20

Lastly, to be super thorough, other applications use the LDAP store as well. Migrating IPCC is definitely much harder than CCM. There are more places the LDAP configuration has to change on the box and it keeps a repository of data in LDAP that needs to be moved over. So you want to do a full analysis of whats using DCD and what needs to be changed before undertaking this. It can be down but I will admit I hate doing it when I'm presented with it.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

Thanks Fred. That is alot of useful information that I will look into and consider carefully. Very helpful - thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: