cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN interface monitoring tool

garyrivers
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wanting to monitor our 3 WAN links for utilization, etc. Is there are good, fairly cheap tool out there to do that.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

clausonna
Level 3
Level 3

Free: MRTG is a safe bet, although you'll need to RTFM and roll up your sleeves. Check out this site for a BIG list of other free network monitoring tools:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nmtf/nmtf-tools.html

Cheap: Lots to choose from here. Ipswitch's What's Up is a very good, easy to set up, and you'll get up-to-the-minute alerting when links, servers, etc drop. Also check out SolarWinds.

You should also check with your WAN service provider. Verizon Business offers four levels of Concord eHealth reporting. I tried it for a while with my circuits, but found the response time from their eHealth web portal to be slow, and the reports to be difficult to generate and kludgy. YMMV.

If you just want to monitor the WAN port utilization, error rate etc, MRTG is good enough as mentioned by previous.

If you want to have easy and nice tool with little price, you can go for PRTG. Good thing of PRTG is there is billing portion which can be useful if you want to measure your usage.

Another good thing is you can also do latency test so that you can measure what is the delay between your different sites.

For more details, go to www.paessler.com

HTH.

p.s I am not promoting the PRTG but just fall in love with this tool and implemented for many clients. And the most important thing is they are all happy! So I am happy as well. :D

we'll the application monitor between 5 to 10 sub-interfaces.

do you know if the paessler will do that?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: