finding a mentor?

Unanswered Question
Mar 14th, 2007

Hi Everyone,

Ever since getting into IT as a career, I've been looking for a mentor who can help me advance my knowledge and be a better tech but finding a mentor has proven to be an elusive goal.

I've been working as a system admin for a few years and specifically as a Cisco admin for the last 2 and where ever I end up working, I always seem to end up as the "senior guy" after a short period of time and don't feel senior enough to claim the title (and I'm not looking to be the senior guy).

I just want to sharpen my skills and be a better tech and have access to some seasoned techs.

Has anyone been able to successfully find a mentor who can help with learning and skill development. I work full time and like where I am employed but am looking/willing to spend time after work and weekends to get better.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ecouto Wed, 03/14/2007 - 08:57

Hey Pete,

If you are looking for someone in person I will suggest to add your location in the post (you can be in anywere in this massive world :)

priedman1 Wed, 03/14/2007 - 09:09

Hi Emilio,

I was hesitant to put this info up since I didn't want to look like I was soliciting for a mentor...but would be nice. :-)

I'm based in New York, about 1 hour east of Manhattan.

Thanks for your feedback.

jason.plank Sat, 03/17/2007 - 06:30

I am from philly and would be willing to assist you with any questions or if you are just looking for a "learning path" I could help with that too. You can email me with specific questions to get a dialogue started.

Jason Plank

CCIE# 16560

This Discussion