Views
Helpful
Replies

ethernet int routing help

rhltechie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I currently have a 2821 router that i wish to add another T1 card to with anoter service provider. I am attaching equipment on the unused ethernet interface and wish this equipment to only use the second T1 interface. are route maps the way to go?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This link gives an example of configuring vrf lite that I believe is very close to what you would do;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddd3c2a/1#selected_message

If you were doing it on a router with mlppp the vrf would be associated with the multilink interface and not the individual serial interfaces. Layer 3 information is always associated with the multilink interface and not the individual physical interfaces that make up the multilink bundle.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want certain traffic to take a certain outbound interface based on the interface on which it was received, then Policy Based Routing is what you need to use. PBR uses route maps to identify the traffic and to set the outbound interface.

If all the traffic received on that Ethernet is always to go out that T1 and never any other outbound path, then it may also be possible to achieve this with VRF lite. You could configure a VRF that contains only the Ethernet and the T1.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

My situation is the second, all the traffic from the ethernet will always go out of that specific T1.

Do you have any examples of this VRF lite? I have done a little googling, but something real world might be better.

Also, If I should need this same thing on a different router that has mlppp used, would the vrf be associated on the multilink interface or the inidiviual serials?

Thanks!!

This link gives an example of configuring vrf lite that I believe is very close to what you would do;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddd3c2a/1#selected_message

If you were doing it on a router with mlppp the vrf would be associated with the multilink interface and not the individual serial interfaces. Layer 3 information is always associated with the multilink interface and not the individual physical interfaces that make up the multilink bundle.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you! That was very helpful information!

One more thing, the "rd" command says you may use AS number or ip address. If this is not associated with an AS number, you just use the ip address of the next hop or your own?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card