cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth command

leonccnp07
Level 1
Level 1

I have a internet link, 512kbps downlink and 256kbps uplink, i not sure which figure to state in the bandwidth command on the serial interface. example bandwidth xxxx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leon,

Yes, the bandwidth statement should match the true outbound bandwidth of 256kb. This will prevent you from reserving more than 75% of the available bandwidth with your CBWFQ. The 25% is left for router overhead. You can fudge this a bit by overstating the bandwidth, but it's usually not a good idea.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

bandwidth 512

hieu

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

The bandwidth command is used for calculating route metrics in dynamic routing protocols and is used when service policies reserve bandwidth for traffic classes. The clock signals on a serial interface are what determines the actual transmission rate. If you have an external DSU/CSU it will control the clock rate.

So unless you have another path to the Internet, or are using CBWFQ, it won't make any difference if you use 256 or 512.

Thanks for replying, The serial interface is connected to a SDM 300A satellite modem, "the internet link is via satellite service ". I did configure Quality of service using CBWFQ to reserve bandwidth for some applications in case of congestion. I have a default static route to my service provider. So do i still need to specify the bandwidth command on the serial interface ?.

Leon,

Yes, the bandwidth statement should match the true outbound bandwidth of 256kb. This will prevent you from reserving more than 75% of the available bandwidth with your CBWFQ. The 25% is left for router overhead. You can fudge this a bit by overstating the bandwidth, but it's usually not a good idea.

Dave

Thanks Dave, for the information, God bless you.

Leon.

rll3
Level 1
Level 1

Typically the bandwidth command applies to outbound traffic so you would go with the up rate or 256k.

Using the bandwidth command it's always better to start lower and move up. One runs the risk of saturating the line if too much bandwidth is specified.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: