Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 857w error configuration

supergrip7
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am Daniel from Spain, trying to setting up my ADSL connection with out sucess.

Every single time that I am trying to configured by console an IP address for my new router fastethernet0\1\2\3 appear the following error; (% IP address may not be configured on L2 links).

I have erase the configuracion and also reseted the router for the manufacture values, but it did not help me at all.

I am not a router expert, and I appreciate if you tell me the procedures to fix this issue.

16 Replies 16

jay.johnson1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up my 871w right now and found the same problem. Basically, you "can not" assign an ip address to the LAN ports like a regular IOS router. Think of your 857 as being a "linksys wrt54g" on drugs. The porst on your 857w are equivalent to how the structure of a linksy SOHO router is (you can not assign separate ip addresses to them). The only internal ip addres allows initially is the one you set for the router.

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

Here is a sample configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045d279.html

Notice that you assign ip addresses to VLANs and not directly to L2 ethernet ports.

the error is refering to a layer two device/port make sure the interface u want to put the ip address on is a layer 3 interfaces.

can u post ur config so we can take a look at it...

ciao flash

supergrip7
Level 1
Level 1

I do not what I am doing wrong with my ADSL router configuration, but let me attached it.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The 857, 851, 871 and 877 routers come with 4-switch ports. Those ports are Layer 2 ports (like a small switch), so you can't configure an IP address. Those ports are managed by a single VLAN interface (interface Vlan1), so you can put the IP address on that interface but not on the FastEthernet port itself.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Juan

Hi Juan,

I am not able to configure my ADSL Router 857w, I was trying with same cisco configurations example and does not work.

I am from Spain my ADSL ISP is telefonica.

May I have ADSL Router 857w configuration with the information below?

Dynamic IP

Protocol PPPoE

VPI/VCI 8/32

Encapsulation mode LLC/SNAP

User xxx

Password xxx

DNS 80.x.x.250\254

I do not have router experience and I am in trouble with this configuration.

I will really appreciatte your support.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Daniel,

Please try the attached config and tell us how it goes. (modify if needed before you apply).

Hi Ahmed,

I have tried with your configuration and I can not get to Internet yet.

However in the router front pannel appear a new light blinking:

OK - DATA (OK green light blinking)

WLAN

the rest are the following (OK-CD-PPP are on in green with out blinking)

RXD - TXD blink sporadically.

ADSL

Also I can ping router 192.168.1.1, but I can not ping my ISP DNS 80.58.61.250.

Here I have attached the router conf, maybe I missed same important data.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Daniel

A slightly modified config.

Hi Ahmed

I do not what I am doing wrong, but the adsl connection still down.

I have change the configuration with the telefonica2.txt that you attached, and now in the front pannel router just the OK has the green ligth on, all the rest are off.

Attached the configuration.

Ahmed I am sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks a lot for your support.

Daniel

Are you sure it is PPPoE? I have found these references to telefonica and cisco 800 series and in the first reference they use aal5snap encapsulation instead of PPP.

http://www.adslayuda.com/Cisco-configuracion_telefonica.html

http://www.adsltodo.es/index.php/adsl-router-cisco-837/

Ok, try this one and let me know.

Hi Ahmed

Let me let you know what happened after I introduce this part of the configuration on the router

interface ATM0.1 point-to-point

pvc 8/32

encapsulation aal5snap ppp dialer

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' maker

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

Here below is the telefonica ADSL configuration data link: http://www.adslzone.net/datosconexion.html

Thanks.

Daniel

Ahmed,

FINALLY SURFFING ON INTERNET!!!!!!!!

Just my wireless laptop does not reconized the wifi connection.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Here attached the config.

Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco