cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Detailed Device Report - Vendor Type

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I generate a 'Detailed Device Report' form cli; I noticed that for some devices in the paragraph 'Module Information' there is no value for the field 'Model Name', whereas 'Vendor Type' always has a value;

It seems to be IOS independent so SNMP shouldn't be an issue;

(look at the Software version for each device)

Does anybody know what the cause could be for this behaviour?

And another question:

Is 'Vendor Type' unique for each module type? - If that would be the case, I could manualy map the information for 'Model Name' if it is missing - according to the field 'Vendor Type'

regards,

MArtin

HERE IS AN EXCERPT:

Software Image Information

Device Name,Version

device1,12.2(18)SXD

Module Information

Device Name,Slot Number,Description,Model Name,Vendor Type

device1,2,16 port 1000BaseX (GBIC), ,wsx6516gbic

device1,3,16 port 1000BaseX (GBIC), ,wsx6516gbic

device1,4,16 port 1000BaseX (GBIC), ,wsx6516aGbic

device1, ,Centralized forwarding card, ,wsf6kpfc3b

device1, ,Supervisor Mod 720 CPU board; sub module 2 type for sup 720, ,wssup720

Software Image Information

Device Name,Version

device2,12.2(18)SXD

Module Information

Device Name,Slot Number,Description,Model Name,Vendor Type

device2,2,16 port 1000BaseX (GBIC),WS-X6516-GBIC,wsx6516gbic

device2,3,16 port 1000BaseX (GBIC),WS-X6516-GBIC,wsx6516gbic

device2, ,Centralized forwarding card, ,wsf6kpfc3b

device2, ,Supervisor Mod 720 CPU board; sub module 2 type for sup 720, ,wssup720

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you have two 6509s running the same IOS that have the same modules, and some don't have the info, and some do, I would first re-run the inventory collection for those that don't. If they still don't have the correct information, then do a GET on .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.388.1.3.0. If you get back a value, then the ENTITY-MIB will be used to generate the hardware info. If you do not, then the CISCO-STACK-MIB/OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB will be used. You can walk the moduleModel object in the CISCO-STACK-MIB to confirm the data is populated.

If the ENTITY-MIB is used, then you will need to walk entPhysicalModelName.

As for the 7613, only the CISCO-STACK-MIB/OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB will be used to populate chassis information.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of devices are these? If they are the same device type, then I would expect the report data would be the same. You may need to re-run an inventory collection on device1 in case information was missing in the first pass.

Yes, vendor type is unique for a given module.

Ok- bad example

device1: Chassis Information

Device Name,Chassis Model Name,Chassis Vendor Type

device1,CISCO7613,cisco7613

device2: Chassis Information

Device Name,Chassis Model Name,Chassis Vendor Type

device2,WS-C6509,wsc6509

but I just verified that this behaviour appears for both 'Chassis Model Name' CISCO7613 and WS-C6509;

I want to say I ve got CISCO7613 that have the information for 'Module Name' and a few doesn?t. (and the same for WS-C6509)

-Could you imagine what the reason could be?- As the info is collected through SNMP I would suggest that there should be nothing or all...

I will re-run an inv collect and see what happens.

THANKS

MArtin

If you have two 6509s running the same IOS that have the same modules, and some don't have the info, and some do, I would first re-run the inventory collection for those that don't. If they still don't have the correct information, then do a GET on .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.388.1.3.0. If you get back a value, then the ENTITY-MIB will be used to generate the hardware info. If you do not, then the CISCO-STACK-MIB/OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB will be used. You can walk the moduleModel object in the CISCO-STACK-MIB to confirm the data is populated.

If the ENTITY-MIB is used, then you will need to walk entPhysicalModelName.

As for the 7613, only the CISCO-STACK-MIB/OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB will be used to populate chassis information.

dd

...just got your post...

and will confirm SNMP info retrieved from the devices with missing info!

THANKS!

##########

Re-running the inv collect did it for those devices!

I still get some empty 'Module Name'fields (and 'Chassis Model Name') for some devices like the following:

(listed are the 'Chassis Vendor Type' as this is never empty...)

ws-c2924m-xl

ws-c2912mf-xl

c2610 (Module-Vendor Type: pm-32a, CardType(1565))

cevChassis3745 (Module-Vendor Type:cevHdaEm4dsp)

if the values for these fields are missing - is it device-dependent (e.g. SNMP agent on device does not support this info)

or is it a RME device package issue (or MDF)?

(e.g. LMS with crrent patch level cannot process the info retrieved from device)

I need to know these things because Customer wants to feed this information into another DB...

and 'Module Name' is the product identifier in Cisco?s price list....

MArtin

I tested some of the devices and I see, -its a matter of the SNMP agent on the device-

Thanks for your quick help Joe!

MArtin

Joe, could you give some information on the OID:

I can't find any info for this OID;

Ciscos Object Navigator can not reslove it

there is

and

but no ...388

I did a walk on several devices with no success.

It's not surprising your switches don't support it. It is indicative of a satellite (i.e. virtual) switch configuration.

what do you mean by "satellite switch configuration" ?

can you give an example which hardware could have support for this MIB?

so if I understand correct, CISCO-STACK-MIB/OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB is used in nearly all cases and the ENTITY-MIB (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.388.1.3.0) in the least?

for the DDR report it seems that 'Vendor Type' is supported for (nearly?) all hardware whereas 'Model Name' is not - (even not for newer ones like ws-c295024c)

Do you know if 'Vendor Type' is always set?

If yes, I could implement a mapping for an output of DDR

A virtual switch is a Cat 6500 concept. I only mentioned it for completeness, but your assertion is correct. Most 6500s IOS switches will be supported by the CISCO-STACK-MIB/OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB.

Always populated? No. But for switches where module information is appropriate, then it is populated.

what do you mean by "satellite switch configuration" ?

can you give an example which hardware could have support for this MIB?

so if I understand correct, CISCO-STACK-MIB/OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB is used in nearly all cases and the ENTITY-MIB (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.388.1.3.0) in the least?

for the DDR report it seems that 'Vendor Type' is supported for (nearly?) all hardware whereas 'Model Name' is not - (even not for newer ones like ws-c295024c)

Do you know if 'Vendor Type' is always set?

If yes, I could implement a mapping for an output of DDR

hi

so is it my understanding that when a Module/Card report shows: CardType(4011) it is not RME's fault? Does this mean , if true , that this particular device will show the card type once an IOS upgrade has been performed. An inventory report with over a 1000 devices , i find many of these -'CardType(XXXX) entries under VendorType field.

Second question: Does anyone know why there are discrepancies in the card desrciption. Some will say " wic-serial-1t " and some will say " cevWicSerial1t " The "cev" part in particular.

No, if a module shows up with a number instead of a name, this is RME's problem. RME needs a MIB upgrade to support the new OID. This is not something that can be done by users.

The difference in module name is most likely due to the way a device is instrumented. Some devices will be instrumented by the OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB, and some will be instrumented by the ENTITY-MIB. It depends on the device type and IOS version as to which will be used.

Thanks for your response. I will downlaod these MIBS and replace them with the ones i have to see if there's any difference.

do you think then, i could possibly modify this MIB file to show a more "descriptive" english name for a card? I will lookup the OID for it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco