Views
Helpful
Replies

message server offline

achalante
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

some months ago, the company i work for installed windows 03 SP1 on an exchange server that communicates with the unity, and now unity cant communicate with it anymore. After a thorough search on cisco's website, i came across a couple of workarounds...one of them being the uninstallation of the SP1 from the exch box. The other involving the placing of UnityMsgStoreSvc acct in the local administrators group on the exch server. The issue i'm having now is, i want to go along with the second option, but i dont know what the "UnityMsgStoreSvc" account is. I need help. Thanks.

1 Reply 1

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

First of all that is the default name: "UnityMsgStoreSvc" but not all the engineers create the accounts with those names, so the question is what name did you use during the installation?. If you do not know then open the services and see the name of the account the AvMsgStoreMonitor service logs on as and search for that account. If the account was installed with the default name just make a search on the AD for that account, or you can make a search for Unity* then right click on the account and select properties and see the object of account to find out the OU were the account is.

Finally here is the bug information:

CSCsa80702

Symptom:

After installing Windows 2003 SP1 on an Exchange 2003 server Unity is communicating with, Unity can't communicate with it anymore.

Conditions:

This occurs after installing Windows 2003 SP1.

Workaround:

This defect is resolved in Cisco Unity 4.0(3) ES119, 4.0(4) ES97 and 4.0(5) and later.

Other options for workarounds:

1. Uninstall Windows 2003 SP1 from the Exchange 2003 server. Once this is complete the Unity server must be fully (Windows) rebooted.

Or

2. Place the UnityMsgStoreSvc account (the account the AvMsgStoreMonitor service logs on as) in the local Administrators group on the Windows 2003 SP1/Exchange 2003 server. Once this is complete the Unity server must be fully (Windows) rebooted.

If the Windows 2003 SP1/Exchange 2003 server is a clustered Exchange server place the UnityMsgStoreSvc account in the local Administrators group for all nodes in the cluster. Once this is complete the Unity server must be fully (Windows) rebooted.

If the Windows 2003 SP1/Exchange 2003 server is a domain controller it is not recommend to place the UnityMsgStoreSvc account in the Domain Admins group because this group has explicit denies be default on all Exchange Message Stores. Placing the account in that group will allow Unity access to the Services Control Manager so Unity will be able to 'see' the Exchange server again but all mailbox logins will fail. Instead do option number 1 -- uninstall Windows 2003 SP1.

So, I think that the best option is to open a TAC case and request the ES that fixes the problem.

HTH

//Jorge