cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME support for ASA 5520 but not 5510?

clausonna
Level 3
Level 3

I've been waiting for months for RME to finally support the ASA's. Last month an update package was released, but it seems to only support the 5520's. Can someone (Joe?) explain what's going on and when we can expect RME to fully support the ASA's? Will it coincide with CSM 3.1? (which is also LONG overdue!)

Its a little sad (and extremely frustrating) that Cisco can't get their product teams and network management teams to coordinate. The same applies for IPS 6.0; its been out since November, but CSM 3.0 (released -last- March) can't configure/update a 6.0 sensor, and MARS can't parse any events from it. What good is a 'self-defending network' thats MONTHS behind the curve?

Sorry for the rant, but no one seems to be acknowledging that these delays are significant and really impact day-to-day operations.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Remaining ASA55xx support is currently scheduled for late April of this year. It was always the plan to do this phased approach, though I am not certain why that was.

Hello,

I'm bumping this topic. We're almost end of April, and I still can't see any update for the ASA5510 range. Am I too impatient or has it be again postponed?

April still has four more days. I have not heard any plans to postpone this quarter's IDU release.

Bad news. I just got an update that the April device update release has slipped to mid-to-late June. The missing ASA devices are slated for that release.

Last August we were told it would be ready in October:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc0f83/2#selected_message

Then in October it was December:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Expert%20Archive&topic=Network%20Infrastructure&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc69af/13#selected_message

In February an update was released that supported the 5520's, but not the 5510's. In March we were told April. Now April has slipped all the way back to June.

What's the difficulty here? How different is a 5510 from a 5520, and why the uncertainty with release dates? Is ASA support in RME that hard to do, or is this just not a priority for the NMS folks?

It would be nice to get a straight answer on this; I think we've been more than patient here. Its not like the ASA's are new - they've been out for two years now!

Priorities from both the RME and ASA teams are most likely the biggest factor. However, I cannot give you a definite answer as for why the ASA 5510s are taking so long. I can say this latest slippage was most likely due to the upcoming LMS 3.0 release in late May.

ASA support has arrived, along with a bunch of other device updates.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: