cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Access a Cisco Catalyst 2950SX-48-SI

avilap2007
Level 1
Level 1

I am picking up where a former employee left off. I have Cisco Network Assistant up and running (it's a sweet tool) but I can't access the switch in question. I have downloaded the "How to Access a Cisco Switch when you don't know the password" guide but I don't know if I want to take a shot at it because if something goes wrong, I don't have a backup switch to slide in its place. Can anyone give me any ideas they have on how to access this switch? I can see it in Net Assist (but not when I do a "sh cdp neigh") and I can't access it at all, I can't even ping it but there are about 40 devices plugged into it. What gives? I'm stumped. I forgot to mention that when I try to console into it sometimes it lets me and sometimes it doesn't. I can't telnet to it at all.

2 Replies 2

Paul Williams
Level 1
Level 1

If you can't PING it chances are that the default gateway is not set on the device - or its gone the wrong one.

Unfortunately to change this you need TELNET or CONSOLE access to be working.

The best advice is to do a password recovery on it. Its a fairly straightforward process and has few things that can go wrong as long as you follow the instructions. The worst thing that can happen is that you forget to reset the config register, and the device boots back up but doesn't load the conf - but this can be started from a CLI anyway and then you can ammend the config-register entry.

Try

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/index.shtml

For Password recovery instructions for your device.

Okay thanks for the response. I'll try it and post my findings. Probably sometime next week though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: