Views
Helpful
Replies

Limitation of Linksys Wireless Routers

itsupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've noticed that typical "Residential" class Linksys routers (and I presume other manufactures as well) seem to have difficulty supporting more than one simultaneous VPN connection. I'm referring to the scenario where two machines sit behind a linksys router and try to run software based VPN clients to a remote VPN concentrator. The linksys appears to be able to support only one at a time and if host A tries to establish a VPN connection it kicks off host B's VPN connection if it's already in progress.

My question is... Do the Cisco Aironet Wireless access point have this limitation?

I am aware that you can configure PPTP tunneling from the client linksys to the site VPN concentrator and run traffic through it and I suppose in theory this could support multiple connections from client to site but we would prefer to just use the VPN client software on the host without having to keep a tunnel open.

Appreciate any advice in this regard.

Cheers - Peter

2 Replies 2

katebush123
Level 1
Level 1

It's not the problem of the router but the nature of VPN - you can't have two IP based VPN connections behind the same IP (with NAT)

Kate (http://www.cguy.net/)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card