cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does Missing supported Rate Error Message mean?

rcullum
Level 1
Level 1

In my WiSM Trap Logs I get a message:

Client Association Failure: MACAddress:00:15:00:04:a0:34 Base Radio MAC:00:0f:8f:30:8f:70 Slot: 0 Reason:Unspecified ReasonCode: 1

In the Message Logs, for the same timestamp I get the following:

[ERROR] apf_utils.c 193: Missing Supported Rate.

Does this mean the client trying to associate does not support all the WiSM radio mandatory data rates? If so, is there a way of identifying which rate is not being supported?

5 Replies 5

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Client trying to associate does not support all the WiSM radio mandatory data rates.This can be seen under Wireless>> 802.11b/g network you'll see a set of drop downs that allow you to configure your data rates.

does that explains what it mean? I dont think so... 
What do we do to resolve the error? 

That could mean that the client had a really bad signal and couldn't connect on any of the enabled rates. So if you have (which you should) disabled the 802.11b rates (1, 2, 5.5 and 11 mbps) and signal was so bad that the client couldn't join at the lowest supported rate, you might get this message. This could also be a roaming client where the reception is bad or a client outside of the building while the person holding it is smoking, or going home, or or or.
If you don't have any complaints from the users, ignore the message.

and if i have comlaints?

In this case ask the people complaining on where exactly this happens. Then go to that location and check the signal strength you have there. I typically use an app on my mobile phone for this. A good signal is > -70 db (so -65 is better than -70). It also depends on interference (noise), but that is a little bit harder to check.

What kind of problems do the users have?

Is it a high density deployment or rather a high distance one?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card