cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is vlan.dat file still important on routers?

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 2821 router that will have an IOS upgrade via a new flash chip. If my startup-config contains all the useful information (on NVRAM) about the interfaces, do I really need to keep the vlan.dat file? My guess is that it a holdover from the early VLAN configuration process, and as long as I have a switch acting as a VTP server, I can discard the vlan.dat in the router's flash. Yes?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jim,

Is your router is having switch module? Was is also working as a VTP server?

If you already have a VTP server in your network up and running you can delete vlan.dat file and it will get updated on this router once you put it back into the network.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jim,

Is your router is having switch module? Was is also working as a VTP server?

If you already have a VTP server in your network up and running you can delete vlan.dat file and it will get updated on this router once you put it back into the network.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur,

Exactly as I suspected, thanks for very prompt response.

I should use this forum more often.

Thanks

Jimmyc

Hi Ankur,

Perhaps I should have mentioned that we have VLAN interfaces configured on our router. Even though we don't have a switch module on the router, the vlan.dat file is definatley needed to bring up the "vlan 101 interface". After the reload, all of our virtual VLAN interfaces came back as "up/down" until we reloaded the vlan.dat

Regards

jimmyc

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jim,

If you using Etherswitch module and its L2 features with vlan enabled on it, do not delete vlan.dat file. If you are not using router for the L2 switch features, then its safe to remove the vlan.dat file.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco