cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity v4.0(5) - Changing message format

peterocc
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running Unity 4.0(5) and want to change the format of voice messages from compressed .wav files to .mp3 so users can listen to them on smartphones.

I'm thinking that by changing the codec I should be prompted if I want to change the message format sent to Exchange. I know that by changing the codec I also affect previous voice mail formats/codecs.

Can anybody help?

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, MP3 isn't supported as a recording codec - codec licensing issues loom large among other things.

You can use the SetRecordingFormat tool found in the Audio Management Tools section in the Tools Depot on your Unity desktop. You'll see a number of codecs offered (those installed and registered in Windows basically) - 711 muLaw/aLaw, GSM6.10 and G729a are the only TAC supported codecs. For most handheld device (though not all) GSM 6.10 will work - you might want to try that.

Changing the recording format will change all recordings on the system moving forward - it will have no impact on existing recordings (either messages, voice names or greetings).

On my smartphone I use a 3rd party app, mVoiceMail. It works equally well for my work and home voicemail (Unity and Vonage, respectively).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: