Views
Helpful
Replies

lowest model that supports 802.1Q trunk

omal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to set up a CCNA lab. Can someone please help me to know what's the lowest model that will support 802.1q trunking?

If a 800 series router or any other supports, would appreciate it if you could let me know the exact model number e.g. I know 1760 supports this.

But I'm looking for a cheaper one than that as this is only for a lab.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Omal

You are rite you can have .1q in Cisco 1710 which is the base model.

But it has already reached EOS/EOL and you may not find the latest ios version for the box.

In case if you want to try some new features available out here then it may not be possible..

regds

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Omal

These are the platforms which supports 802.1Q encapsulation..

# Cisco 1710 router

# Cisco 1751 router

# Cisco 2600 series

# Cisco 3600 series

# Cisco 4000-M series (Cisco 4000-M, 4500-M, 4700-M)

# Cisco 7200 series

# RSP1Cisco 7505

# RSP2Cisco 7507 and Cisco 7513

# RSP4Cisco 7505, Cisco 7507, Cisco 7513, and Cisco 7576

for more info do refer the below link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a008008742b.html#wp3944

regds

Hi Kumar

Thanks a lot for your post. I had a look at the URL that you've sent. Currently I'm using a 1760 for .1q but that Cisco web page does not mention about a 1760. It really confuses me. Because it says 1710 and 1751 only in 1700 series. Are you sure that there aren't any lower cost models than 1700 that supports .1q?

Anyway advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

I think that any router with a fastethernet port will support 802.1q. In addition, the 2610/2611 routers with 10mb ports also support .1q.

You can check platform support for any feature at http://www.cisco.com/go/fn.

Hi

Thanks a lot for your reply. Even I thought that any model with a Fast Ethernet will supprt .1q but I think according to what Kumar says there are certain models.

Anyway thanks a lot again for your post.

Hi Omal

Though Fastethernet port supports .1q you need to have different feature set of ios code in place basically ip plus set instead of the plain ip base which comes out with the router...

regds

Hi Kumar

Oh I think I got what you mean. You mean not just the hardware that I have to look for but also the IOS version and the features.

So in that arguement the lowest/cheapest model that I can have .1q is 1710, correct?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi Omal

You are rite you can have .1q in Cisco 1710 which is the base model.

But it has already reached EOS/EOL and you may not find the latest ios version for the box.

In case if you want to try some new features available out here then it may not be possible..

regds

Hi Kumar

Many thanks for your advice! Then I'll probably go for a 1760. But I thought I could go for a lower model which would be cheaper for me as this is only for a lab. Nevertheless if this is the case we have to live with it :)

Thank you so much anyway for your time and support!

Hi

Just to add to this. The 870 series routers will support 802.1q with the Advanced IP services IOS image.

Attached is a link for the 870 series routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks a lot for your post.

You are quite right. But my doubt was whether the second hand price of 870 would be more than the second hand price of 1760. If 870 is going to be more expensive then it'd be better for me to straight away go for a 1760 as I can use it for a CCVP lab also at latter stage. But I'm not sure if I can use 870 for any other Cisco course.

Thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card