cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internetwork Perfomance Monitor

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have just installed this and need to configure it, but do not really undertand which to use, source or target.

What I want to do is monitor all our switches and routers.

How do I define the collector or do I define all 3?

Can the target be my Ciscoworks servers and the source be all the switches and routers?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Ahh IPM a nice holdover from Ciscoworks Blue.

Its a pretty neat tool and very light weight on your network.

To answer your question I must first clear the air...IPM is to monitor the network performance between nodes, not the actual nodes themselves.

A source is a device from which packets are sent to measure and store information on how they can talk to other elements in your network. It has to have the SAA Agent included in its running software. You can track lots of stuff, more than I can list here easily, but (Echo, paths, UDP, TCP, DNS, UDP, FTP, HTTP, DLSw, DHCP) just scrapes the surface.

A Target can be almost anything, an IP address, another SAA responder or a SNA PU.

A Collector is a process that uses a Source, a Target, and an Operation to create a response report.

to get a basic understanding and overview, I think the tutorial for IPM is a also a good (of better?) point to start:

http://www.cisco.com/E-Learning/public/shared/pdf/IPMtutorialv26.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: