Views
Helpful
Replies

MARS and MPLS networks

clausonna
Level 3
Level 3

Hi folks,

I have an 80+ node network connected via a service provider managed MPLS VPN cloud. Each one of my 'spokes' connects to the provider edge (PE) router via a /30 subnet. All of my customer edge (CE) routers are in MARS, but of course the PE routers are not. When MARS graphs my network it shows 80 'stub' networks with no connectivity between them.

I've spoken with the TME and I think the feature is planned for a future release, but I had a idea I wanted to bounce off of the folks here:

What if I created a virtual generic router in MARS, and populated it with 80 interfaces. Each interface would have the corresponding PE router's /30 IP address. I think this would let MARS tie all of the stub networks together.

Has anyone tried this? Will it only fix the graphing problem, or is there added benefit for MARS when everything is tied together as a cohesive network.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

I think the idea of creating a virtual router and then assigning its interfaces with corresponding IP addresses will work for MARS to tie the networks. It could fix the graphing problem but I dont think anything more it will deliver.