Views
Helpful
Replies

Turning an AS5350 into a H.323 Voice Gateway

carlosmadriz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Netpros!

I'm trying to use my AS5350 as a voice gateway and I have not found usefull information regarding this topic.

What I have so far is the following:

(attached document)

Right now I receive the call from the E1, but the AS is not handling the call as a voice call,just as a modem connection. The thing is, How can I tell the AS to use DSP resources with all the incoming and outgoing calls?

Thanks for the help!

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

please configure "isdn incoming-voice voice".

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

p.b, thanks for your help, in the AS5350 this command it's not supported, the only way is to configure isdn incoming-voice modem. (I have tried several IOS versions)

The funny thing is,I have discover that sometimes the AS5350 answer correctly and gives me secondary dial tone and voila! I can dial an extension number from the callmanager and have a normal conversation with a phone user.

But sometimes the AS5350 answers the call as a modem call!!!

Someone have an idea?

The trick is, for AS5xxx voice gateways, there's no such thing as a "default" dial-peer. Any calls that do not match an inbound dial-peer are treated as "data" and a modem answers.

So when an inbound dial-peer is matched, you get voice treatment as you hope. If not, you get the modem.

HTH,

Mike

At a quick glance, it looks like the only inbound pots peer you are matching is:

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern 2...

port 3/0:D

So any calls coming on Ser3/0 are working as you described. Calls coming on Ser3/1 will be treated as "data" and the modem will answer.

Hi Mike, I think the 5xxx software by design, does not use port in matching incoming pots dial-peer:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

Note: Step 4 (voice-port) is not applicable to voice or dial platforms such as AS5300, AS5350, AS5400, AS5800 and AS5850. If any one of first three steps are not used, then match dial-peer 0, and the call is treated as a dial modem call. This means that customers can get modem tones as opposed to dial tones for inbound calls.

So you will have to use "incoming calling-number" to for this. I have seen this behavoir also on a 28xx in a recent case.

Hi Paolo. Thanks for the link.

Hmm.. From what I've seen first hand, the document is incorrect. I believe it should read that "Step 5 is not applicable..." In the ISR, dial-peer 0 does exist and is used to catch any unmatched inbound calls. In my experience AS5xxx has no such concept. Maybe I can confirm this internally...

Indeed, in this case, inconsistent with the doc, he is getting some voice calls through, even in the absence of steps 1-3. Though you are correct, a DP with incoming-called, even without a voice port would do the trick.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: