cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternatives to 3800 and CMM for Enterprise Voice Gateway?

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

Our current deployment is about 200 users, CallManager 4.1(3) cluster, and 6 PRI lines terminated on 2 2821 ISRs, MGCP controlled.

We're expecting to quadruple in size over the next year, and I'm thinking having the 2821s handling the PRIs isn't going to cut it in terms of DSPs and SRST. The two upgrade options I've identified are going to 3800s, or a 6500 with CMM. Are there any else that will support say 1,000 users, 10 PRI lines, and redundacy?

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

The easy upgrade is to use a 3825 or 3845. I am currently in a deployment with 10 PRIs on a 3845. 6500 with CMMs is a good option, but expensive and also off late i dont hear much trouble with CMMs but they have had a lot of issues in the past. (Bugs).

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi Johnny,

Just an additional note to Sakars good insight. We were going to switch from 6608's to CMM'S recently due to a CatOS to IOS change. We found the CMM's to be double the cost $$ and I understand that EOS for them is just around the corner.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Interesting. I saw when the WS-X6608 went EoS a few weeks ago, the 6500 CCM and 2800/3800 were the only two migration platforms listed. Do you know the firm ETA? Is Cisco planning to announce something else?

Sounds like dual 3845s make the most sense.

Also, what's the ballpark cost for a WS-SVC-CMM and WS-SVC-CMM-6T1? The online quotes I saw were roughtly $8,000 USB for each. A 3845 w/ Voice Bundle was around $12,000, plus I'd have to load with with PVDMs which would add few thousand more to the cost.

We currently do have some 6500s here, but unfortunately they have no free slots. So, 3845s are going to be a lot less. I'm just curious.

Hey Johnny,

The CMM-6T1 runs at over $10,000 US, so given that along with the fact that there are no slots available on the 6500's I think the 3845's are really the way to go.

Hope this helps!

Rob

That's on ebay right? just jokin. I think that is list though, which last I looked.. where about $12k. Figure in the 40 percent discount and you got a deal.

I have been having good luck with CMM in my 6509 lately. They have been stable and working ok. They are actually on CATos right now. Havent made the big uprade yet.

cheers!

Hey Tommer,

You are correct :)(ha ha ha) We only buy Cisco products off of ebay and from the loading dock at the rear of "Freds Chicken & Rib BBQ House & Exotic Diner"

Take care,

Rob