Views
Helpful
Replies

EoMPLS vs SDH

lee.messenger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a requirement for a 1gb circuit between our 2 datacentres. I have been getting quotes from service providers and now have a short list of 2.

1 is offering an Ethernet over SDH circuit and the other is offering an Ethernet over MPLS circuit.(EoMPLS)

With all other things being equal, i.e. cost, SLA's etc, could I have opinions on which one you would go for and why ?

Note we will mainly be using the link for backing up approx 3-4 terabytes of data overnight, so we will be using the full 1gb.

Thanks

Lee

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

The advantages of EoS are its abilities to leverage on existing infrastructure, superior protection and fault isolation whereas EoMPLS supports fast reroute capability and has limited restoration options. You should be able to use 1 gb in both the cases, however I will prefer EoMPLS.

s.tanner
Level 1
Level 1

You will probably get bigger MTU (data per packet) with EoMPLS and hence better throughput. Assuming that RTT (round-tip time) and packet loss are equal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: