cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone as VPN Client

thomas.carbaugh
Level 1
Level 1

I have a need to find out how a Cisco Phone could register to a CallManager accross the Internet by going through a VPN device like a PIX at the hub where the callmanager sits. So the phone would not have a VPN device at the remote site it would just act as a client VPN.

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it appears that many people have this setup.

b.henshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Just to clarify here, you're talking about having a VPN concentrator at the head-end site but no VPN hardware at the remote site?

Yes. Rather than a VPN concentrator (series 5000) that are non-IOS devices, I suggest you get one ISR router like 28xx or 38xx on which depending on the traffic you can add additional AIM VPN cards as needed.

gajolly
Level 1
Level 1

there is no inbuilt VPN Client with Cisco Phone so gottta have somethin at remote site to make VPN tunnel first....

Correct, is not builtin, so you will start the Cisco VPN Client before and the Cisco IP Communicator later to place/receive calls.

Avaya, Intertel, and Mitel all have a way that the phone can vpn into a device like a PIX or a server at the hub site without having a hardware device at the remote location. There was a company that had a third party application that could offer this and Cisco bought them. I will contact my local Cisco SE's and see if they know and then I will post this information out here.

The company was Metreos and the new product is the Unified Phone Proxy.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7057/index.html

I still like the idea of a VPN client on the phone. Even if we would have to pay extra for it.

Thanks! This is what I was talking about. It may cost extra but every other Company charges for this as well. To remain competitive we need to be able to show off these features even if it does cost a little.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: