Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE500

Hi.

How can I do for to add network address in my vlan in the CE500?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

anthonym
Level 1
Level 1

The CE500's are only layer 2 switches, therefore they only have 1 IP address, no matter how many VLANs are impleneted.

On the GUI (accessable at http://) you can alter the VLAN that this address is in, but you only get one IP address.

CNA can also be used to set the IP/VLAN.

Hope that Helps.

Hi Anthony.

So my vlans (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) cannot have a network address? Just one. The vlan1. All right?

The only time you would need the VLANs to have addresses of their own, is if you were doing inter-VLAN routing.

In that case, it is the router that needs an address in each VLAN, not the switch.

The CE500's cannot do this routing.

The IP you give the switch, is in order to manage the switch, and for no other reason, so all you need to decide is which VLAN is going to be the one which you use to manage the switches, and give the switch an IP on that VLAN.

It does not have to be VLAN 1.

Ok Anthony.

So how can i do to my vlan in CE500 "talk" with vlan(with network address) in other switches Cisco (3550)? I just choose port trunk in CE500?

Thanks

Configure the CE500 port as the trunk port and then configure the intervlan routing on 3550.

Config for 3550:

Config t

ip routing

Int vlan 2

ip address a.a.a.1 x.x.x.0

no shut

Int vlan 3

ip address b.b.b.1 x.x.x.0

no shut

Int vlan 4

ip address c.c.c.1 x.x.x.0

no shut

Int vlan 5

ip address d.d.d.1 x.x.x.0

no shut

....Same for all the vlans.

Once this is done, make sure that the host PC has the default gateway pointing to the SVI interfaces on 3550.

HTH,

-amit singh

Yes.

Switches "talk" using MAC addresses and broadcasts.

So long at you have trunk links between switches, and the switches have the same VLANs, messages should get through fine, and everything should work.

Hi Anthony

The addresses from host PC at CE500 are of same range vlans (3550) example

3550 - vlan 2 (172.17.1.0)

So my host pc at CE500 and vlan 2 (172.17.1.x)

3550 - vlan 2 (172.17.2.0)

So my host pc at CE500 and vlan 2 (172.17.2.x)

All right? Therefore I don't insert network address in my vlan(CE500) it must have network address different!

So you have two 3550's, and each VLAN 2 has a differnet subnet?

That is not goingt o work if those switches are connected!

You seem to be getting cofused with switching and routing.

Please remember that the IP address of the switch is for management *only* it has nothing to do with what the clients can/cannot do.

The IP address that matters for the VLAN is the default router that the clients see. This will be the IP address that the 3550 which is doing the routing has on that particulat VLAN.

For example, I am soon to have 4 VLANs, 192.168.93.0/24, 192.168.94.0/24, 192.168.95.0/24, 192.168.96.0/24

The "26" network is going to be used for "management" so all switches have an IP on that network, as does the PC I will use to manage the switches.

The 3650 which we will have at the core, will have an IP address associated with each VLAN, and will know how to route each VLAN.

All Clinet PCs will be in VLAN 1, so will be in the range 192.168.93.0/24 and will have a default gateway which is the 3650, VLAN 1 IP address.

Thanks Anthony!!!

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to device manager, configure--> express setup and the configure the ip.

Please use the link below for configuring the same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080531ea9.html#wp178112

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card