cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity VM upgrade to UM

kking
Level 1
Level 1

So I need to do an upgrade from VM to UM. Client now has Ex2k3, did not when Unity VM was originally installed. Therefore the MsgStore for VM is on the Unity server. (and might be Ex2k or 5.5, don't know)

Cisco docs suggest two methods for doing the upgrade. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/migvm_um.htm.

1) buy another server for Unity UM, install it with a new fresh copy of Unity UM. Backup all items from Unity VM server, then move the DIRT restore of the mailboxes to the Unity UM server and dump the voicemails into the exchange server.

or

2)if you already have your MsgStore on the Exchange server, just upgrade the licenses and run the migration tool to merge the two mailstores.

I don't have a 3rd server, so am considering whether I can move the MsgStore off of the Unity VM server to their Exchange server before I do the upgrade, this would solve the issue.

However, Cisco's only documentation regarding separating Unity and Exchange is removing the Unity part not the MsgStore. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a84.html

Anyone out there do this before and can offer some advice?

thanks!

2 Replies 2

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

WHere is your Unity server now? Is it in a seperate domain from your production Exchange server (email for corp) Typcially, when a customer has VM only, they have a seperate domain and Unity running there with it's own Exchange org.

If you were to move Unity to new platform, you would have move Unity to the new domain, and merge the mailstores into one. You cant have two seperate Exchange orgs in one AD.

The current Unity VM server is in the same domain with the Exchange server. The current Unity mailstore (for vm) is also using Ex2000 while the E-mail server is 2003.

Could I upgrade the VM mailstore to the same version (and sp) of Exchange as the E-mail server, and then merge mailstores? I would want to preface the VM mailstores with "vm-" or something and hide them from email users during the transistion.

If I could do this it seems that I could use the migration tool to complete the transformation.

At what point in this process would I add the new license to Unity? First or last?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: