cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

port failover on a switch

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, Can anyone tell me if its possible to have somekind of port failover on a switch, ie if port 1 goes off port 2 comes on?

cheers

Carl

6 Replies 6

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Carl,

Which switch is this? You can configure flex links to achieve the same on the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/1225sea/3560scg/swflink.htm

HTH,

-amit singh

this will be on a 3550 switch

cristip
Level 1
Level 1

Isn't Etherchannel a good solution for this ?

What do you want to connect with this ?

if it's switch to switch then STP is your answer. If not Etherchannel with teaming on the server side.

there will be 2 transparent firewalls connected, its like this switch A --firewall x 2 --switch B , Could I use flex links in this ?

cheers

Carl

we can configure the flex-link on 3550 switches to provide the backup to a layer 2 interface.

As you have firewall connected to the ports, I would suggest use flex-link with MAC address-table move update feature if this is not configured and port 1 goes down, port 2 starts forwarding traffic. However, for a short time, switch keeps forwarding traffic to port 1 which is down.

HTH

Mohmmad Imran

Carl,

Flex links is supported on 3550's starting with 12.2(25)SE series.So you have to upgrade the IOS on the switch to support the flex link feature.

I havenot tried it using the firewalls as you are designing, but its worth try giving a shot.This might work. use only one switch and connect 2 firewalls to it and then configure one switch uplink to firewall 1 as the primary link and the other uplink as the secondry link.

I am attaching a brief topology diagram for your refrence. Try configuring your 3550 switch with the above toplogy and configuration.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card