cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unequal ip cef load balancing

jigsaw2026
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750 (a) at a branch office connected to 2 3750s (b, c) at head office via 2 x LES10s (vlan 10 and vlan 20). 3750 c handles routing and is connected to 3750 b via a trunk link. So vlan 10 runs a > c, while vlan 20 runs a > b > c.

I am facing a problem on 3750 c in that it does not load balance traffic across the 2 links - vlan 10 is only using 0.12% tx, whilst vlan 20 recives 36% of the traffic.

-routing is via EIGRP, only one subnet attached to 3750a, both routes in r-t

-show ip cef shows per dest load balancing

-packet sniffing on vlan 10 reveals that there's only 3 src-dest pairs' traffic running on it.

-show ip cef internal shows load-bal with 16 hash buckets evenly distributed.

There is a terminal server attaced to 3750a which a lot of people attached to c connect to, other than that there is a fairly wide spread of destinations. However, when I use source-dest pairs found with packet sniffer, and run on 3750 c show ip cef exact-route <src> <dst> about 25% of entries (on both links) should be using the other link according to the output.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks,

J

3 Replies 3

Thanks, interestingly the various per-dest load balancing options make no difference to amount of traffic being sent over each link.

For anyone interested - it was because I had fair-queueing set on the problem vlan interface on 3750 c. Once I removed this, traffic has been (approx) evenly distributed since.

Not sure why this would be though!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card