cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voip Gatekeeper

icabrera
Level 4
Level 4

We have a customer with a voip network. There is a central router (cisco3620) connected with a PBX and 100 remote sites with a cisco827-4v or cisco 1760-v with two analog phones connected.

At this point we need to introduce a gatekeeper to help us to manage the numbering plan.

A year ago we planned to use two cisco2621 (redundant configuration) fot this purpose. The IOS we needed for this case was IP/H323. But now we prefer to use a cisco2801, what IOS we need? Are we going to have compatibility problems with older routers like cisco827?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

A 2801 seems quite limited for 100 endpoints. If you could scale up a little that would be only beneficial for performances. The gatekeeper feature is now called IP-to-IP gateway, or BSC (Border Session Controller). There are no compatibility issues.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

chetona
Level 1
Level 1

I suggest you use 2811 or something. 2801 is very limited. If the router is doing just gatekeeper it is better to have atleast 2 router with HSRP running.

As for IOS, I think you download IP VOICE it should provide gatekeeper functionality.

kelvin.blair
Level 5
Level 5

In your case, I recommend a 2811 at the least but a 2821 or better will be best. With 100 remote sites, your dial plan can get hugh and a router with enough process power will be needed. When scaling a Gatekeeper, you need to determine the amount of request will be done on an giving day or time. Remember, A gatekeeper has to decide which path a call needs to take based on the zone registered devices and if you got alot of calls going on between sites, the request can get high which will put a load on a small router. You could run into problems where calls get rejected because of lack of resources. Just my two cents.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: