cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voip Gatekeeper

icabrera
Level 4
Level 4

We have a customer with a voip network. There is a central router (cisco3620) connected with a PBX and 100 remote sites with a cisco827-4v or cisco 1760-v with two analog phones connected.

At this point we need to introduce a gatekeeper to help us to manage the numbering plan.

A year ago we planned to use two cisco2621 (redundant configuration) fot this purpose. The IOS we needed for this case was IP/H323. But now we prefer to use a cisco2801, what IOS we need? Are we going to have compatibility problems with older routers like cisco827?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

A 2801 seems quite limited for 100 endpoints. If you could scale up a little that would be only beneficial for performances. The gatekeeper feature is now called IP-to-IP gateway, or BSC (Border Session Controller). There are no compatibility issues.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

chetona
Level 1
Level 1

I suggest you use 2811 or something. 2801 is very limited. If the router is doing just gatekeeper it is better to have atleast 2 router with HSRP running.

As for IOS, I think you download IP VOICE it should provide gatekeeper functionality.

kelvin.blair
Level 5
Level 5

In your case, I recommend a 2811 at the least but a 2821 or better will be best. With 100 remote sites, your dial plan can get hugh and a router with enough process power will be needed. When scaling a Gatekeeper, you need to determine the amount of request will be done on an giving day or time. Remember, A gatekeeper has to decide which path a call needs to take based on the zone registered devices and if you got alot of calls going on between sites, the request can get high which will put a load on a small router. You could run into problems where calls get rejected because of lack of resources. Just my two cents.