Views
Helpful
Replies

Equipment upgrade (7204)

ph0enix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking to replace an old 7204 router (NPE-150) with something more up to date. The machine is beginning to run out of memory and that specific NPE is maxed out on the RAM (128MB). I'm not crazy about having to spend 30,000 on a 7206VXR with NPE-G2.

The existing machine has two T1's from two different ISP's connected to it and a FE port into the LAN (also, a HSSI card that's not used). It gets full BGP updates from both ISPs. I would like a replacement router that can handle a similar setup and also be T3 capable (perhaps with an add-on card). IPS and VPN would be nice too. What are my options?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can look for new NPE engine for 7200 like NPE 400 or NPE-G1.this will solve your all future needs as well.

If you are looking for new router then you can go for 3845 router, which supports T3 and also have IOS Firewall, VPN and IPS module support on it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016a8e8.html

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

I don't think my chassis can handle NPE-400 or higher. It's not VXR as far as I know.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the 3845.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card