Tunnel - using Tunnel Bandwidth

Unanswered Question
Mar 19th, 2007
User Badges:

I have a quick question here what is the purpose of using the Tunnel Bandwidth command for and is it necessary on a point to point connection? Reason why I ask is that we have a point to point connection and a tunnel is riding over this connection. We every now and then I notice high latency on this connection. I noticed that the bandwidth transmit/receive is set up for 8k only while the point-to-point connection is 128k. I'm thinking this is the cause of the latency...your thoughts?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jwjorgensen Mon, 03/19/2007 - 17:03
User Badges:

The bandwidth on an interface depends on what the circuit is. The bandwidth command does not actually limit bandwidth on an interface. An example of using the bandwidth command would be if you are running a point to point link to a remote site with a site to site vpn tunnel as a backup. You can run EIGRP between the two locations, using the bandwidth command on the two redundant links would enable you to set the bandwidth higher on the primary interface making it the preferred route to the remote site.

wgranada1 Tue, 03/20/2007 - 06:09
User Badges:

Ok so I have a 512k point to point connection

and on this connection I have a tunnel running over it and transmit/receive is set to 8k so if I bump it up to 128k for the tunnel transmit/receive it will really have no affect all this really does is set the preferred route? I only have one connection by the way

Actions

This Discussion