Views
Helpful
Replies

choppy traffic on E1 Link

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

We have 2 sites 2610XM routers connected to each other via G.703 E1 controllers. The ISP provides us with 2MB E1 (unchannelized) links.

For some reason the customer wants to bridge the connection to use the same subnet in the 2 sites.

The configuration was done and I created a BVI for each router. This was successfully tested in the lab by connecting the 2 routers directly via crossed E1 BNC cables.

The problem appeared when each router was conneted in the sites. The connection is very waek with bad response times and missing pings (sometimes 2,3 out of 4 pings). I am able to telnet to the remote router but the session is very choppy with lots of delays. I didnt find errors in the E1 counters, although there are some interface resets.

Is it safe to conclude that the issue is probably faulty cabling, perhaps the ISP fiber backbone? Can a configuration error cause such behaviour?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wold conclude anything, can you post show controller ?

I will post the configs and other output once I get back to office.

Thanks

Hi...

I am posting the config of one router (the other is the same) and sho controller output.

This router has 2 E1s, the one in question is E1 0/0 (the bridged one).

Thanks

Sorry I posted the wrong sho controller file.

Here is the one showing E1 controllers

Hi,

the circuit on E1 0/0 seems to be fine.

If you want to clear your doubt about the bridging configuration causing the problem, change it for test to regular routing, and do a sweep ping (ping ip , y to extended options, fill values for minimum and maximum).

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card