cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Different networks

gturrubicec
Level 1
Level 1

I have a vendor that is on a 192.168.100.0 network and we are on a 10.0.0.0 network. I have deployed a router on their site so they can pass traffic to us and traffic back to them. We don't have a 172.18.xxx.xxx network that they have behind the 192.168.100 0 network that they have but we need to pass the traffic back to them.

They need to access servers on our side but they can not reach them, I can ping their network but from their 192 network they can reach our network but not from the 172 network. Do I need to add routes in our core or distribution side so that the traffic is returened? We also use EIGRP but they do not. we have a very complex network any assistance would be appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Hi,

On your router deployed at the vendor's site just add a static route for the 172.18.x.x network and redistribute the static route into EIGRP. If EIGRP isn't already configured on the router at the vendor's site then configure that router to talk EIGRP via it's connection to your internal router.

You may need a config similar to this one;

ip route 172.18.x.x 255.255.0.0

router eigrp xxx

redistribute static metric 1500 1000 255 1 1500

Alternatively, you can configure NAT if you want to pursue that route.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

I added the static route earlier and just added the eigrp redistribute command but is still does not work, any ideas?

Gerry

Gerry,

Do you see an EIGRP neighbor to your internal router. Can you post the config?

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

Are you speaking of the vendors side? I am assuming so, they do not use EIGRP.

Gerry

I thought you have a router at the vendor's site. You need to run EIGRP on that router and that would peer with one of your internal routers.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

I do have a 2811 at the vendor site, I can see all of my routes and networks. The issue is that from the vendors 192.168.100.2 ethernet interface on my router his LAN I can not ping certain networks. Behind his 192.168 network which is his firewall is the actual production network 172.18.xxx.xxx and 172.17.xxx.xxx.

Gerry

Gerry,

Your 2811 should have a route to 172.17 & 172.18 network to point to the vendor's router/firewall. The vendor's internal router(s) needs to have a route to 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x to point to your 2811. If all that is there and if you are unable to get to the 172.17 or 172.18 network then have the vendor check the firewall configuration.

In addition to that your 2811 needs to advertise 192.168 172.17 and 172.18 to your internal router(s) via EIGRP.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card