Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.2.1 failover config fail

bluejays
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having an issue here with Unity 4.2.1. We upgraded 4.0(4)SR1 to 4.2.1, SQL2000 SP4 is installed. We now wanted to add failover. We do have the failover license.

First we ran the failoverconfig.exe on the primary, and it returned an error saying can't find the REPLDATA folder. We manually added the folder and it ran ok on the primary.

Now, we ran failoverconfig.exe on secondary(we did manually added the REPLDATA folder as well), the configuration failed at "Waiting for SQL distribution agent to complete". We went back to the primary and see the error is "invalid descriptor index" in UnityDBPublication.

Before the upgrade, Unity is running with MSDE2000 SP3a and we did upgrade to SQL 2000 SP4. If we try to upgrade the SQL again, it won't allow you because we are using SQL already.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your Unity servers must match identically. Same Unity versions, same sql verions and patches, same OS version and patches. Once this is done, then you can run Failovercfg.exe. You also need to make sure you have DNS or WINS running properly. Failover is utulizing FQDN when calling out to the failover server (SQL). You can force this in the hosts or lmhost file. (servername = ip address)

You will probably have to uninstall failover on both servers and start over. It's the only way to get it right. You may even have to reinstall the failover server if its still bombing out.

good luck

thomas1
Level 2
Level 2

Since you've upgraded to 4.2(1), I would make sure to run the DiRT to have a good backup (and stored on a completely seperate server). I would start from scratch. Like the previous reply said, everything has to be identical. I think your secondary server can't be identical since it was never 4.04 and with all that history of patching and SR's. Definitly read the Unity installation guide for 4.05 "with failover" (even though it's 4.2 that you are installing). I would read it twice through before even starting the install. I learned the hard way. lol

It's been a few months since I installed our 4.2(1), but I'm pretty sure I remember reading in that guide something about starting fresh if you are building "with failover".

Thx for all your input.

It is all good now. I don't need to reinstall Unity, it was just a FQDN issue and I changed my SQL server registration from "local" to the actual name of server.

After that, I re-ran FOW, everything went ok.

Awesome! Glad to hear it's working. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: