cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me if I will have problems with this design, I have got about 10 switches, all on vlan 1, I have got some servers that im going to put in vlan 2, the connection to vlan 2 will be via a firewall in transparent mode, so it will be vlan 1 --firewall --vlan 2, As the switches are already uplinked, will there be any spanning tree issues when i plug my firewall between the vlan ?

3 Replies 3

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Spanning-tree will only come into picture when u are connecting both the switches with two uplinks...Are u doing that?

Say G1/1 and G1/2 of SW1 is conneted to G1/1,G1/2 of SW2. Then spanning-tree will come into picture.

However, if you are connecting G1/1 of SW1 with G1/1 of SW2, the spanning-tree wont do anything.

Pls reply.

Regards

JD

Hi , thanks for the reply, basically the switches are already connected twice to each other, what im doing is plugging a port from vlan 1 into a transparent firewall, the firewall then plugs into a port on vlan 2 on one of the switches , will this cause any issues ?

Hi

There will be no problem.But u didnt mention where are u doing u r intervlan routing.

Thanks

Mahmood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card