cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me if I will have problems with this design, I have got about 10 switches, all on vlan 1, I have got some servers that im going to put in vlan 2, the connection to vlan 2 will be via a firewall in transparent mode, so it will be vlan 1 --firewall --vlan 2, As the switches are already uplinked, will there be any spanning tree issues when i plug my firewall between the vlan ?

3 Replies 3

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Spanning-tree will only come into picture when u are connecting both the switches with two uplinks...Are u doing that?

Say G1/1 and G1/2 of SW1 is conneted to G1/1,G1/2 of SW2. Then spanning-tree will come into picture.

However, if you are connecting G1/1 of SW1 with G1/1 of SW2, the spanning-tree wont do anything.

Pls reply.

Regards

JD

Hi , thanks for the reply, basically the switches are already connected twice to each other, what im doing is plugging a port from vlan 1 into a transparent firewall, the firewall then plugs into a port on vlan 2 on one of the switches , will this cause any issues ?

Hi

There will be no problem.But u didnt mention where are u doing u r intervlan routing.

Thanks

Mahmood

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card