Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Discovery LMS2.5

Hi all.

I'm running LMS2.5 on a restricted licencse, which is currently not an issue, but 'Device Discovery' is permantley running, therefore I cannot add new devices to the DCR.

I've tried 'net stop crmdmgtd', restart the server, stop and start the processes, all to no avail.

Any sugestions please

Bernie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Further investigation of your discovery.log error message shows that your devicediscovery.properties file is probably corrupt. Due to changes in the discovery process implemented in Campus Manager 4.0.3, I would suggest first that you upgrade to at least Campus Manager 4.0.3 if you have not already done so. I would prefer to see you at LMS 2.6 level (CM 4.0.6) or the latest--CM 4.0.8. Be sure to consult the readme files for installation instructions if you choose to upgrade.

Next we need to replace your devicediscovery.properties file:

1. Stop CiscoWorks

net stop crmdmgtd

2. Go to \CSCOpx\campus\etc\cwsi

3. Rename DeviceDiscovery.properties to DeviceDiscovery.properties.old.

4. Copy DeviceDiscovery.properties.orig and rename it to DeviceDiscovery.properties.

5. Edit the new DeviceDiscovery.properties file:

Open it with WordPad and look for:

DEVICESROOT=

Change it to:

DEVICESROOT=C:\\PROGRA~1\\CSCOpx\\campus\\lib\\classpath

(all on the same line)

NOTE: If the CSCOpx folder is somewhere else please make the necessary changes to the DEVICEROOT above. Keep it in the same format.

6. restart CiscoWorks with:

net start crmdmgtd

7. Reenter your discovery setup information (seed devices and snmp settings) and run a new discovery.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Device Discovery is part of Campus and doesn't impact any part of adding devices to the Device Credential Repository (DCR). Device Syncronization between Campus and CS happens in the background if you've got it enabled. Are you adding the devices under Common Services, Devices and Credentials, Device Management, Add ?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm adding devices under Campus Manager > Administration > SNMP Settings and Discovery Settings. Click 'Apply' once seed device and IP address range has been completed. This then fills CS. Unfortunatly Device discovery in Campus has been runing since last Friday.

Bernie

compare the DeviceDiscovery.properties with DeviceDiscovery.properties.orig

are there any differences (like uncomplete path information) beside your user settings ?

if yes, replace DeviceDiscovery.properties with a COPY of DeviceDiscovery.properties.orig

(you ve got to redo your customizations in the GUI)

filelocation: NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi

restart the Daemons;

what do you see in 'deviceDiscovery.log' and discovery.log? any errors?

Thanks mermel.

I have in the devicediscovery.properties file a 'DEVICESROOT=C:\\Proga~1\\CSCOpx\\campus\\lib\\classpath' line while in the .orig file the path is blank. This is the only diference along with my personalisations.

Would clearing the file path back to 'DEVICESROOT=' make a difference?

Discovery log reads:

2007/03/19 23:00:00 main MESSAGE DiscoveryMain: Properties will be read from C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\campus\etc\cwsi\DeviceDiscovery.properties

2007/03/19 23:00:01 main FATAL ERROR ServiceModule: undefined property: ServiceModuleList

Sugestions please

Bernie

The DEVICESROOT path is not defined in the devicediscovery.properties.orig file, but it must be present in your regular devicediscovery.properties file, so please do not remove it. Which version of Campus Manager are you running? This can be found in Common Services>Software Center>Software Update?

Further investigation of your discovery.log error message shows that your devicediscovery.properties file is probably corrupt. Due to changes in the discovery process implemented in Campus Manager 4.0.3, I would suggest first that you upgrade to at least Campus Manager 4.0.3 if you have not already done so. I would prefer to see you at LMS 2.6 level (CM 4.0.6) or the latest--CM 4.0.8. Be sure to consult the readme files for installation instructions if you choose to upgrade.

Next we need to replace your devicediscovery.properties file:

1. Stop CiscoWorks

net stop crmdmgtd

2. Go to \CSCOpx\campus\etc\cwsi

3. Rename DeviceDiscovery.properties to DeviceDiscovery.properties.old.

4. Copy DeviceDiscovery.properties.orig and rename it to DeviceDiscovery.properties.

5. Edit the new DeviceDiscovery.properties file:

Open it with WordPad and look for:

DEVICESROOT=

Change it to:

DEVICESROOT=C:\\PROGRA~1\\CSCOpx\\campus\\lib\\classpath

(all on the same line)

NOTE: If the CSCOpx folder is somewhere else please make the necessary changes to the DEVICEROOT above. Keep it in the same format.

6. restart CiscoWorks with:

net start crmdmgtd

7. Reenter your discovery setup information (seed devices and snmp settings) and run a new discovery.

Thanks. Device discovery now working as it should do.

Bernie

Bernie,

Many thanks for letting me know that your Campus Manager discovery is working. I'm glad I could help!

Rick

Thanks,

I'll try this in the morning (8pm where I am)

Bernie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: