cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Cisco's Ether channel inter operable with Nortels SMLT ?

ssatishh08
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

i want to connect two cisco 6500 to two Nortel 8600. i want to know whether Cisco's ether channel is inter operable with Nortel's SMLT if yes can some one please suggext me some document for the same.

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does the nortel box support lacp ? That is the IEEE standard for etherchannel between different vendors , if so it should work.

thanks for replying guys,

Hey sunder thanks for the links but i'm not able to open the nortel's document so could you plz send me ne alternate link.

thanks in advance,

Satish

That was a PDF link.

Here's the HTML version for the same link. The format is a little clumsy but it's still readable.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:BH0v4nUxAOQJ:www.nortel.com/products/01/passport/8600/collateral/nn117720.pdf+nortel+smlt+lacp&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

HTH

Sundar

mohmmad.imran
Level 1
Level 1

The Ethernet Routing Switch 8600 fully supports the IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol. LACP is supported on MLT and DMLT links and extends to a pair of SMLT switches. With this extension, the Ethernet Routing Switch 8600 provides a

Standardized external link aggregation interface to third party vendor IEEE

802.3ad implementations..

Are you using the SMLT link between the two 8600 and wants to connect the Cisco 6500 to both 8600 though the aggregated links?

If yes use the same with precaution because SMLT is the Nortel propriety and it disabled the STP on the SMLT enabled links.

Follow the below stpes to enable LACP:-

1 Using Device Manager, go to VLAN > MLT/LACP.

2 On the LACP Global tab, ensure that Enable is selected.

Accept the default values for the other parameters.

3 Click Apply.

4 Click the Multilink/LACP Trunks tab.

The Multilink/LACP Trunks box appears.

5 Click Insert.

6 Configure the parameters as desired

7 Click Insert.

MLT LACP information

8 Go to VLAN > MLT/LACP > LACP.

9 Change the ActorAdminKey to 1; this is the same key number

that will be applied to ports 1and 2 (

10 On each LAG port, three fields must be changed in the order given:

a. Click on the LAG port, and right-click.

b. Select Edit General > LACP.

c. Set ActorAdminKey equal to 1 and then click Apply.

d. Set ActorAdminState to aggregation and then click Apply.

e. Select AdminEnable and then click Apply.

For cisco below is the link:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094470.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card