cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Malformed packets found in packet captures

garyrivers
Level 1
Level 1

While running a packet capture I noticed SEVERAL lines with Malformed Packets. The line contained the MACs of the laptop and AP that the laptop was connected.

Is this something I should worry about or what is going on here?

I added a print shot of the packet capture if that helps.

Thank you, Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brispin
Level 1
Level 1

The malformed packets aren't LWAPP but seen in IEEE's association request packet.These messages aren't bad. All it is is that Ethereal could not fully decode the content of the packet because there wasn't enough information in it to decode.As these messages are sent from wireless clients to AP, as long as the clients are able to associate, shouldn't be a concern.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

brispin
Level 1
Level 1

The malformed packets aren't LWAPP but seen in IEEE's association request packet.These messages aren't bad. All it is is that Ethereal could not fully decode the content of the packet because there wasn't enough information in it to decode.As these messages are sent from wireless clients to AP, as long as the clients are able to associate, shouldn't be a concern.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: