Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client to CISCO 857

jmcandelera
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if CISCO 857 allows remote software Cisco VPN clients aside from site to site VPN. I heard that all VPN cisco cable devices allow cisco VPN client software connections, is that true?

Thanks a lot for your help

Juan Manuel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Juan,

Allow me to explain a bit further to clarify some of the terminologies used which might cause confusion.

Cisco VPN router can terminate the following types of tunnels.

a. Lan to Lan tunnels

b. Dynamic Lan to Lan tunnels

c. VPN clients terminations

d. Easy VPN clients terminations

a & b, are very similar

c & d, are very similar

except - option c uses the VPN clients (software) installed on the PC or a MAC systems

Option d, uses hardware to connect to the IOS routers. You can use a Cisco Router or a PIX firewall or a 3002 or ASA to connect to the Cisco router which would be acting as an IOS Easy VPN server. And the device connecting to the Easy VPN server is called as a Easy VPN client.

Hope this explains the terminologies a bit more in detail.

To answer your question, Security Feature does allow support for Easy VPN client and server.

And what you are trying to accomplish is option c. So, the security feature option should work out well for you.

Hope this explains your queries.

Rate this post, if it helps!!

Thanks

Gilbert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kamal Malhotra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Juan,

Cisco 857 router does accept Cisco VPN client connections depending on the code running on the router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

HTH,

Please rate if it helps,

Regards,

Kamal

Hello Mr. Kamal,

I read the same document that you advice me a week ago, but I have no seen anything about Cisco VPN software client connections with respect to IOS software. Otherwhise, I read information about cisco 870:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

and in "security features" section appears support for: Cisco Easy VPN Client and Server (it is not in 850 features). I suppose that Easy VPN server feature will allow cisco remote client software vpn connections, won?t it? In that case, is Easy VPN server included in cisco IOS "advanced security"?

Thanks for your help

Juan Manuel

Juan,

Allow me to explain a bit further to clarify some of the terminologies used which might cause confusion.

Cisco VPN router can terminate the following types of tunnels.

a. Lan to Lan tunnels

b. Dynamic Lan to Lan tunnels

c. VPN clients terminations

d. Easy VPN clients terminations

a & b, are very similar

c & d, are very similar

except - option c uses the VPN clients (software) installed on the PC or a MAC systems

Option d, uses hardware to connect to the IOS routers. You can use a Cisco Router or a PIX firewall or a 3002 or ASA to connect to the Cisco router which would be acting as an IOS Easy VPN server. And the device connecting to the Easy VPN server is called as a Easy VPN client.

Hope this explains the terminologies a bit more in detail.

To answer your question, Security Feature does allow support for Easy VPN client and server.

And what you are trying to accomplish is option c. So, the security feature option should work out well for you.

Hope this explains your queries.

Rate this post, if it helps!!

Thanks

Gilbert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: