Syslog Collector relocate

Unanswered Question

Is it possible to relocate the Syslog collector to another drive on a server and leave all other modules in their default location?

Customer has a small capacity server and syslogs taking up far too much disk space on the main disk. Apart from purchasing new drives, rebuild of Ciscoworks etc... what other options do i have? Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Tue, 03/20/2007 - 09:29
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

This is not possible. It is possible, however, to install a remote SyslogCollector, and have it do all of the message filtering, then forward interesting messages on to the RME SyslogAnalyzer. However, this will not save you any disk space.

If your CiscoWorks partition (I assume this is Windows) is filling up, you can purge configs to reclaim space. There is also a tool available by calling the TAC that can allow you to drop your RME syslog database tables which will also free up some space. The downside of this is that you will lose all syslog messages currently in your database (meaning no more reporting on those messages). However, they can be backed up to a flat file first for audit purposes.

The best option here is to get more disk space, and reinstall CiscoWorks. However, if you do go the TAC route to drop your syslog data spaces, the tool to which I refer is called DBSpaceReclaimer.

Actions

This Discussion