cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual FW- ASA and ISA server

jwjorgensen
Level 4
Level 4

I am implementing a network with an ASA 5520 and an ISA server. I would like to hear input from people who might have done this before as to what the best setup would be for this? Having two firewalls would enable a layer of protection behind the perimeter for internal network users. I am thinking of routing all traffic from a layer 3 switch to the ISA server and then to the ASA. I would run traffic through the ISA and NAT all of the traffic at the ASA, as well as terminate VPNs. Is there some kind of way to set up the ISA in some sort of transparent setup?

Please forgive me if this seems like a dumb question, I am a Cisco guy all the way.

Also, I know this isn't a microsoft forum but I know you can't go wrong with the net pros:) Thanks!

2 Replies 2

gabrielbryson
Level 1
Level 1

I really dont know what your reasons are for doing this, The ASA is a extremly capable firewall by itself, it is also hardware based and much quicker that the IAS implementation. (I dont think many would argue that point).It would also make troubleshooting more difficult and add uneeded complexity to your network...Just a thought...

I absolutely agree! This is a customer of mine that is wanting to implement the FWs this way.

Now, does anyone have any ideas?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card