Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable mac-address learning per Vlan

Not applicable

Hello,

I would like to ask how can I disable mac-address learning in a layer2 3-play enviroment (7600 product).

Regards

7 Replies 7

Kypamop
Level 1
Level 1

If you are trying to disable mac-address learning on VPLS, only way to do is to limit the VLAN mac-addresses globally. (Limit the vlan where u gave the command xconnect vfi).

You can control mac-address learning for a VLAN by using this switchport command on a trunk.

Router(config-if)# switchport port-security maximum 3 vlan 102

Or simply use this to allow only a certain number of mac's per access port.

Router(config-if)# switchport port-security maximum 1

Here is the command reference.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122sr/cr/srir_r/ir_s4sr.htm#wp1015189

PS: you cannot totally stop mac learning as the valid values are from 1-4097 so you cant set it to zero and i believe you dont want to as well , since you have a layer2/3 environment.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

jordanbauduin
Level 1
Level 1

you can disable vlan MAC learning by douing this: (config) no mac-address-table learning vlan

cheers

perfect!!

no mac address-table learning vlan 1-4094

Would anyone know what CODE (IOS) might be required on a Catalyst SW to be able to turn off the default SW behavior and control the switching with static MAC entries instead ? I might also need to turn off broadcast and switch traffic only for specific HOSTS so there is no flooding out other ports when the destination is unknown.

me_noori
Level 1
Level 1

you can use remote-span for this vlan

Redards