Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable mac-address learning per Vlan

Not applicable

Hello,

I would like to ask how can I disable mac-address learning in a layer2 3-play enviroment (7600 product).

Regards

7 Replies 7

Kypamop
Level 1
Level 1

If you are trying to disable mac-address learning on VPLS, only way to do is to limit the VLAN mac-addresses globally. (Limit the vlan where u gave the command xconnect vfi).

You can control mac-address learning for a VLAN by using this switchport command on a trunk.

Router(config-if)# switchport port-security maximum 3 vlan 102

Or simply use this to allow only a certain number of mac's per access port.

Router(config-if)# switchport port-security maximum 1

Here is the command reference.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122sr/cr/srir_r/ir_s4sr.htm#wp1015189

PS: you cannot totally stop mac learning as the valid values are from 1-4097 so you cant set it to zero and i believe you dont want to as well , since you have a layer2/3 environment.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

jordanbauduin
Level 1
Level 1

you can disable vlan MAC learning by douing this: (config) no mac-address-table learning vlan

cheers

perfect!!

no mac address-table learning vlan 1-4094

Would anyone know what CODE (IOS) might be required on a Catalyst SW to be able to turn off the default SW behavior and control the switching with static MAC entries instead ? I might also need to turn off broadcast and switch traffic only for specific HOSTS so there is no flooding out other ports when the destination is unknown.

me_noori
Level 1
Level 1

you can use remote-span for this vlan

Redards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: