Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC Simulator

nabhishek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are trying to setup a lab. I had a 2 questions.

1) Is NIC a part of the starting process of ICM?

2) If no, then would be required to develop a NIC simulator of our own to relize call flow in a lab environment?

Regards

Shek

6 Replies 6

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are trying to set up an environment for pre-routing, right?

If yes, then there is a "Generic NIC" that can be used, but you will never see it while installing the PG's. You should enable it in the registry, I do not know all the details, but if you want, I know where to get this info, so pls let me know.

hi,

I think NIC is one of the processes of ICM router. In order to make the ICM services up and running, all the process must be started initially. So what is the point in having a external nic simulator, if already a NIC process is up and running as a part of ICM. please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks

No. You do not have to have a NIC in order to see the ICM processes up'n'running.

Can you please tell me whether it is a post/translation routing environment or a pre-routing one?

Do you have IPCC (CCM+IVR+ICM)?

hi,

I understand that in IPCC(CCM+IVR+ICM)

NIC will not come into play at all and CCM can be configured as post-routing client.

In this case, to make the ICM up and running

nic process will not play any role!?

If it is prerouting, and NIC is configured as pre-routing client,then NIC process will be up and running and there is no point in developing a NIC simulator.

Is this correct? If this is correct, again,there is no point in developing a NIC simulator....Please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks

Hi,

NIC only is needed if you plan to deploy Pre-routing with a Service Provider that it can provides an Intelligent Network based on SS7, INAP, ISUP, etc.

If your ICM is not going to face this enviroment, you don?t need to set up a NIC in the router. By default, Cisco setup for the router checks one NIC in the configuration, so you can unchecked without any problem.

If you are planning to implement pre-routing based in a Service Provider with IMS implemented in their nodes you could use an architecture with CVP and PGW2200.

Hope this helps,

Juan Luis

Exactly, if you have a pure IPCC environment, only post/transrouting is available. In this case, there is no NIC process.

If it is prerouting OR post/transrouting with legacy PBX's, then there is a need for a NIC. So, perhaps, if you have an Avaya Definity "controlled" by ICM, you definitely need to have a NIC. But not a simulator (the "simulator" will be the Avaya Definity, actually).

For lab use, there is a something called Generic NIC and there is even a NIC simulator on the ICM installation CD, but documentation about it is as scarce as hen's teeth...