Views
Helpful
Replies

Two DHCP servers for data and voice

dumble4me
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have switches having data vlans and voice vlans. My switchport is configured with "switchport access vlan x" command and "switchport voice vlan y".

Now I want voice vlan to take DHCP address from Call Manager, here DHCP is configured in Call Manager. Data vlans should take IP address from my Enterprise DHCP server. Is this possible ?

Thanks,

Pete

8 Replies 8

m.matteson
Level 2
Level 2

you could have both your data devices and your voice devices point to the same dhcp server. let's say you have two vlans, 1 & 2. what you would do is configure two DHCP scopes on your DHCP server, 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0. with VLAN/SUBNET 1 being for data and VLAN/SUBNET 2 being for voice. All you have to do now is configure an dhcp relay address on whatever interface your using to route your vlans. this could be "interface vlan 1" (this would be a SVI) or a subinterface on a router. use the command "ip dhcp-helpder address" and enter in the address of your dhcp server. I would assume that your dhcp server is located on your data network so you would only have to enter this command onto the routable vlan interface for your voice subnet.

Thanks for the reply.

But What I want to use is have 2 separate DHCP servers for Voice and Data Vlans.

I want to have Call Manager to be the DHCP server for the Voice Vlans. Is it possible ?

Thanks,

Pete

To forward the DHCP request from the differenet vlan to two differenet server all you need to do is define Helper-address accordingly on both the vlan.

for eg:-

int vlan 1

ip helper-address <1.1.1.1> first DHCP server

int vlan 2

ip helper-address <2.2.2.2> second dhcp server

http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a00800f0804.shtml#configdhcpbootpciscoios

HI

Just to add make sure that u have appropriate scopes configured on the dhcp servers.

Thanks

Mahmood

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pete,

that is possible and certianly you can do that. just set the correct "Ip helper-address" for the respective DHCP servers under the voice and data vlan SVI's.

HTH,Please rate if this does.

-amit singh

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what all additional scopes/configurations I need to configure in DHCP for the Voice Vlans ?

Thanks,

Pete

HI

Make sure that u enable tftp option in u r voice vlan scopes.I think it is 150 something.

Thanks

Mahmood

Configuring the CM scope is pretty straight forward. Set at least the correct default gateway and tftp server option 150 (pointing to the CM running the tftp server). You might setup dns settings but this is not mandatory for a basic setup.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card