cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM questions (requirements, migration and some config)

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I am going to be installing a CISCO WiSM blade in a 6509 switch to replace my dual 4404's and I am having trouble finding answers to some of my concerns.

On the documentation I could find, one of the requirements listed to run WiSM is ACS version 2.6. This isn't too big of a deal as I have ACS version 3.3 running, but my question is this:

Is ACS a requirement to actually use the WiSM - or is it just saying that if you are using ACS with the WiSM, you need 2.6 or above? I do not use ACS with my 4404's.

More importantly, I have a question regarding the actual migration process of switching from the dual 4404 setup to the WiSM blade. I do not have a second 6509 for testing/configuring purposes, so the only way to set up the WiSM is live.. so I'd rather not have to configure it from scratch. Is it possible to upload configuration files from each 4404 into the two internal 4404's of the WiSM blade? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What you suggested will work. But I think you would be better off with a new vlan/scope in terms of making sure nothing gets messed up during testing.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sethgarnar
Level 1
Level 1

You do not need ACS to use the WiSM. Its just saying you need that version level if you plan on using ACS with the WiSM.

For testing I suggest you make a new vlan/dhcp scope that you can run only on the wism. For this dhcp scope set the option 43 value to point only to the WiSM. This way you have it live, but not on the production wireless network.

Once you have finished your testing and feel comfortable with getting things configured you can wipe out the interfaces/ssid's on the wism for your test network and put in the production settings.

I have 5 wism's installed currently with over 1000 AP's, 2 location servers, and WCS. So if you need any help getting things running let me know.

Seth,

I would like to know more about what you are running as far as code on the 6509 and the version on the WiSM's. I am getting ready to do an upgrade to my network from WiSM code 3.2.171.6 to 4.0.179.11. We are running 12.2(18)SXF4 on the 6509's and are looking to see what others are having luck with as far as stability. I would love to know what is working or not working for you.

Thanks for your time.

Im running 4.0.206.0 with 12.2(18)SXF7 on a 6513 and a 6509.

I highly recommend holding off on an upgrade of the wism's till 4.0.207.X is released. While stable, every now and then the WiSM's will suffer a cpu multicast queue is full error and stop responding for a few minutes.

Thanks alot for the information.

Regarding the new vlan/dhcp scope suggestion - What I was planning on doing was just giving the WiSM temporary addresses on the same subnet as the current 4404's (eg. x.253 and x.254) while configuring, then swap addresses to put the WiSM online with the addresses the AP's are configured to point to. Would that work also?

One thing I'm worried about is that the WiSM may do a 'hostile takeover' if you will and claim ownership of the wireless environment, bringing down all the APs. Any insight on if this will happen when the 4404's and WiSM are on the same subnet?

What you suggested will work. But I think you would be better off with a new vlan/scope in terms of making sure nothing gets messed up during testing.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind when it's time to deploy it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: